The Scale of Discovery
One Dynamic Workshop, Four Sites
Presented by NASA's Discovery and New Frontiers Programs
You want to go WHERE? What does it take to make a NASA mission happen, and who are the people that drive these tremendous projects?
In Discovery's fourth annual multi-site professional development workshop, we delve into the stories behind some amazing NASA missions, from conception to science results. Learn how scientists, engineers, and mission operators collaborate to meet the challenges of complex missions to assure the science goals will be met. Investigate what it takes to move a fantastic idea — like scooping up samples of an asteroid and dropping them back off on Earth for analysis — from dream to reality. Explore science as a human endeavor at its awesome best.
All Four Sites Include:
There will be two panels of mission scientists and engineers representing all of the Discovery and New Frontiers current missions:
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory Panel: Science Inspires Mission Design
- Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab Panel: Engineering Empowers Science
Hands-on, standards-aligned science and engineering activities and multimedia interactives
- For K-12 formal and informal educators
- Resource materials to take back to the classroom
- A CD containing mission-designed curriculum and activities for all grade levels with links to great online interactives.
- Posters, bookmarks, stickers and more!
Can't make it to one of our workshop sites? Watch the special speaker presentations over the Internet through our free webinar!